In order to provide the best experience for users, we strongly recommend that you follow the guidelines below for presenting ORCID within your systems. We also highly encourage you to include ORCID branding, graphics, and communications to meet the best practices of Collect & Connect.
To see these guidelines in action, visit Try it Out! at the bottom of this page.
- Use the ORCID iD icon or member logo when describing ORCID
- Include text describing ORCID and a link to the ORCID website
- Use an ORCID-branded button or link to connect users' ORCID iDs
- Provide an appropriate redirect page and close the OAuth window
- Display authenticated ORCID iDs in your system
Only use the green iD icon to represent ORCID in your communications, websites, software applications. Use
For downloads in various sizes and colors, as well as our use policy, see our Trademark & iD Display Guidelines. If you have questions or need additional sizes/file formats, please contact the ORCID Community team.
Since your users may not be familiar with ORCID, we encourage you to include text in your application that describes ORCID and provides a link to the ORCID website for additional information.
Choose the most appropriate place to ask that users connect their ORCID iD: sign-in screen, profile, submission page, etc.
- Prompt users to register or sign into ORCID using the ORCID API -- do not prompt users to type in their ORCID iD!
- Use an ORCID iD branded button, link, or graphic
- Provide clear communication to users about any permissions you are requesting and the benefit to them
Note: The code is for demonstration purposes only and must be customized to fit the needs of your application
The button or link is a custom link to ORCID that allows your system to request permission from a user to get their ORCID iD and perform actions to their ORCID record. For more information on generating this URL, see:
- ORCID API Guide: GET OAuth/Authorize (reference listing base URLs and parameters)
- ORCID API Tutorials (examples showing URLs for specific actions)
- 3-Legged OAuth Authorization (general overview of the OAuth process)
This URL can also be adapted to pre-fill the sign-in or registration form with user information, to specify a language setting, or to show the sign in form (instead of the registration form). See Customize the User Experience for more information.
- Ideal dimensions for the popup window are 500px wide by 600px high
- Show the page URL in the address bar of the popup window
- Include scroll bars for the popup window
Provide an appropriate redirect page and close the OAuth window
- Your redirect URI call will be displayed inside the popup window - make sure that your content and formatting are appropriate for this window
- After the user completes the process, close the OAuth window automatically or provide a button to close it
Note: The image above is for demonstration purposes only - ORCID does not provide a redirect page. You will need to create your own redirect page in order to send users back to your site.
Click the button below to perform a trial of the above. This is just a demonstration. No information from your ORCID record will be transferred.
Now that you've collected the user's ORCID iD, display it -- in your system, on your website, and in metadata.
Display iDs as complete HTTPS URLs, linked to the user's ORCID record, with the ORCID iD icon before the URL. For more information and iD icon downloads, see our Trademark & iD Display Guidelines.
<p><a href="https://orcid.org"><img alt="ORCID logo" src="https://orcid.org/sites/default/files/images/orcid_16x16.png" width="16" height="16" hspace="4" /></a> <a href="https://orcid.org/0000-0001-2345-6789">https://orcid.org/0000-0001-2345-6789</a></p>