In order to provide the best experience for users, we strongly recommend that members follow the guidelines below for presenting ORCID within their systems.
- Use a button or link to connect users to ORCID via OAuth
- Include text describing ORCID and a link to the ORCID website
- Present the OAuth login screen as a popup or modal window
- Provide an appropriate redirect page and close the OAuth window
To see these guidelines in action, visit Try it Out! at the bottom of this page.
Use a button or link to connect users to ORCID via OAuth
- Please do not prompt users to type in their ORCID identifier!
- Prompt users to log into ORCID via OAuth - this ensures that you receive the correct ORCID iD from the user and prevents entry errors
- Include ORCID branding in your button/link
Get the code for these examples!
The URL included in your button/link should contain an HTTP call that allows your ORCID member client to GET an OAuth Authorization Code from a user, which can be exchanged for an access token as part of the 3-legged OAuth authorization protocol used in the ORCID API. For more information on generating this URL, see:
- ORCID API Guide: GET OAuth/Authorize (reference listing base URLs and parameters)
- ORCID API Tutorials (examples showing URLs for specific actions)
- 3-Legged OAuth Authorization (general overview of the OAuth process)
This URL can also be adapted to pre-fill the sign in/registration form with user information, to specify a language setting, or to show the sign in form (instead of the registration form). See Customize the User Experience for more information.
Include text describing ORCID and a link to the ORCID website
Present the OAuth login screen as a popup or modal window
- Ideal dimensions for the popup window are 500px wide by 600px high
- Show the page URL in the address bar of the popup window
- Include scroll bars for the popup window
Provide an appropriate redirect page and close the OAuth window
- Your redirect URI call will be displayed inside the popup window - make sure that your content and formatting are appropriate for this window
- After the user completes the process, close the OAuth window automatically or provide a button to close it
Note: The image above is for demonstration purposes only - ORCID does not provide a redirect page. You will need to create your own redirect page in order to send users back to your site.
Try it out!
Click the button below to run the code (this is just a demo - no information from your ORCID record will be transferred).
Get the code for this button example!