<personal-details> is a container for the elements that capture all the names associated with a researcher, listed below. More information about names is at Names in the ORCID Registry.
- <given-names> The first or given name of the researcher. This is the only required name field.
- <family-name> The surname or family name of the researcher.
- <credit-name> The name by which the researcher wants to be listed when cited.
- <other-names> A container for <other-name>, which can include any other names the researcher goes by and can be repeated as needed.
<biography> is used for a short description of the professional accomplishments and interests of the researcher. The biography field is limited to 1000 characters.
External website links
<researcher-urls> is a container for <researcher-url> a repeatable field for recording websites associated with a researcher. Within <researcher-url> <url-name> is used to described the website and <url> for the address.
<contact-details> is a container for information on how to contact the researcher. It holds the field <email> which can be repeated to add additional email addresses and <address> which currently only holds the field <country>. The field <country> can only contain a two-letter county code (ISO 3611).
Note: Email addresses cannot be added to researcher's records using the ORCID API, however email information set to limited or public visibility can be read using the ORCID API.
<keywords> is a container for the repeatable field <keyword>, which is used to describe the researcher’s areas of work.
<external-identifiers> is a container for <external-identifier>, a repeatable field for references to IDs in other systems. <external-identifier> is itself a container for:
- <external-id-common-name> The name of the system the ID is from
- <external-id-reference> The ID from the external system
- <external-id-url> A link to the external profile